This week we landed a bunch of core features: in the browsers space, we landed WebVR support and immersive controllers; in the social area, added media tools to Hubs; and in the content ecosystem, we now have WebGL2 support on the WebGLRenderer in three.js.
This week has been super exciting for the Firefox Reality team. We spent the last few weeks working on immersive WebVR support and it's finally here!
- Completed prototypes of immersive mode for WebVR support
- Implemented private browsing on the new UI
- Added mini tray
- Immersive mode for presentation is now implemented across the supported standalone headsets
- New controller models landed
- Support for asynchronous loading of models and textures
- Mapped out client side error pages for text only (DNS error, SSL certificate error, etc)
Here are two sneek peaks of Firefox Reality. First is support for entering and existing WebVR:
The second is controller support:
Servo's Android support is receiving some care and attention. Not only can developers now build a real Android app locally that embeds Servo alongside a URL bar and other fundamental UI controls, but we can now support regression tests that verify that the Android port won't crash on startup. These important steps will allow us to work on more complicated Android embedding strategies with greater confidence in the future.
We are making great progress towards adding new features on Hubs by Mozilla:
- Making improvements on the following: scene management and nested scenes, references, GLTF export, breadcrumb UI/UX, many bug fixes
- Demoed media tools (paste a URL: get an image, video, or model in the space) at Friday’s meetup. Finishing up polish and bugfixing on that and adding support for more content types.
- More progress on drawing tools, better geometry generation and networking implementation in place.
this right here, this is some good Internet pic.twitter.com/YBthWL5QAw— Greg Fodor (@gfodor) July 6, 2018
This week, we landed initial WebGL2 support to the WebGLRenderer in three.js!
Stay tuned for new features and improvements across our three areas!