This week we focused on fixing bugs and delivering a seamless experience across our three areas: browsers, social, and the content ecosystem.
We spent this week improving performance and fixing bugs on Firefox Reality:
- Enabling VR controller implementations outside of Gecko
- Removing the spin waits in WebVR to improve performance and avoid draining battery life
- Latency improvements for head tracking in immersive mode
- Improve UI experience
- Clean up the build system for the graphics lib
- Asynchronous loading of content and creation off-render-thread of GL textures and vertex buffers to speed the application startup experience
We added a bunch of new features on Hubs by Mozilla:
- PRs getting landed for upstream changes needed for gLTF exporting from three.js. Debugging and polish on UI and scene management
- Pen interactable added for drawing
- Bug fixing for 3d model import from Google Poly and added Sketchfab API support
- New packaging and deploy process for Hubs that removes client code from Reticulum server package. This is the first of several steps needed towards “one-click” self-hosting
Interested in learning more about what we're up to?
Check out the Mixed Reality team update from Josh Marinacci here on Youtube.
Stick around next week for more new features and improvements!